Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Moving


In case you haven't heard I'm moving soon. Not a very big move...Just to another apartment in the same complex. They lowered the rates here but won't drop mine unless I move into a new place so off I go!

I've been putting it off packing for a while. The thought of putting everything in boxes is really daunting since I've amassed a large amount of stuff since I moved here a few years ago. Got rid of a bunch of it but there is still way more to go.

Mainly because I'm one of those obsessive otaku types and have been for years. I don't want to move all this stuff but can't get rid of it either. And books and DVDs are super heavy...Case in point: the picture above. Started boxing things up and got about half way through my books. All my DVDs and figures are boxed up at least! That is what you see in the pic above. So, only three more bookshelves worth of manga, novels, and artbooks to go! Luckily my ~300 VHS tapes are already crated up in the closet. You can see one box of them in this pic...That has some that I had on the shelf because I still watch them periodically. Stuff like Royal Space Force, Dirty Pait TV, and Oniisama-e. Maybe when I get it finished I'll stack the boxes all together and take a picture of the giant stack of otaku shame.


It isn't all horrid tho. I also like it because I find stuff I had almost forgotten about or not read in a while. Things like this, my Clow Card set! Can't remember when I bought it but it was a long time ago. Even if I can't remember the details of this purchase it still conjures up some nostalgia because of the series it is from....Good gods, the US TV version got me all riled up when it started airing.


It also gives me time to flip through old floppies and magazines. I was one of those guys who had an account at a comic shop for a while. Also had subscriptions off and on to a number of anthology magazines. I love to subscribe when I have the money and normally give the first year a go. Thus, these are all the first issue of those pubs...But only one of them is still around. Used to have a handfull of Pulp also but those got lost in a move many moons ago. Still a little bitter about that.

Anyways, call me old fashioned but times like this are why I still love print much more than digital distro. Sure, the sweating while lugging around boxes of dead tree sucks a lot more than tossing my CD case in the back of my car...But I'm having much more fun flipping through old copies of SMB! to re-read Club 9 and Shadow Star. Can't recall the last time I popped in a disk to find a PDF I burned 6 years ago. Just isn't as accessable or enjoyable to me.

Time to catch some sleep then get back to packing and job hunting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment