Sunday, September 28, 2008

Yaoi-Con 2008


I went to Yaoi-Con today. Yaoi isn't really my thing but I like to go to hang out with people I know. I ran into F* from Viz at registration but didn't see her the rest of the con which is strange since the grounds are so small.

I spent a good portion of the day in the industry panels with Mangacast Eva and her fellow librarian S* who came all the way from North Carolina. I also went to a panel on homosexuality in Japan which was really interesting. In my free time I went to the exhibit hall and bugged the people I know at Aurora and Broccoli/Boysenberry.

Aurora was handing out these. I thought they were lolipops at first but they are actually condoms that had the Deux Press logo on it. It was pretty cool. I first met this publisher at Comic Con and they are all super nice. If you see them at a convention go say hi.

And what is a convention without the loli contingent? There was a fairly high percentage at this one and I took a few pictures of them with my 35mm. In case you didn't know, I'm a big fan of well done lolita (Esp the gothic, shirou, and classic styles). I love the details in the clothing and wish I had the money to get a good male version EGA or Victorian style outfit. Alas, I am poor and would probably just look strange in it.

The rest of the day was spent eating with Shiz and Saki. This was the remains of lunch...We were all hungry and forgot to take photos before we ate. Oops. I just had spring rolls, one of Saki's spicy tuna(?) rolls, and some of these dried green bean things.

Then dinner was at a Korean tofu and BBQ joint. Those are the S's cameras in the back. They took lots more pictures than I did! The little metal dish had brown rice inside for my soup.

Spicy combo tofu soup. It had beef, shimp, and a clam in it. I've never had it before and it was good! When it came out it was still boiling and the waitress cracked a fresh egg into it.


Beer! I wanted an OB but they were all out so I got a hite. The soup was really spicy so this came in handy.
Then we went to Tapioca Express. Saki got shaved ice with condensed milk, tapioca, and grass jelly. I tried some and it was OK. Apparenly they didn't add in any sugar water so it was a little bitter when it should have been sweet.

I had a good time but it was too short. I want to go back tomorrow but there is homework to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment