
So I spent the whole day at Compostmodern 09. The conference was really informative and entertaining. I'll be breaking up my posts about it over a few days since I took around 100 pictures and have lots to think about now. But first is the important stuff...Food. The above image is just some random liquor store I passed while wandering around looking for lunch. You see so little hand done type in SJ that this is actually nice to see now and then.

I eventually ended up here and am super glad I did. I stopped to check it out because of their sign, and once I saw the place was packed I decided to give it a go. I'm a sucker for holes in the wall like this. Glad I did.
This was part of their menu above the meat counter.
...and their drink list.

Anyways, their food was pretty damn good. When you order something they pull out the corresponding slab of roasted meat and slice it up for you. There were a ton of sides available as well as different meats to be had in both dinner or sandwich form.

I gave their beef sandwich on sourdough a go and added a side of some tasty chili. This and an IBC root beer came out to ~$10 which isn't too bad in SF. The cup on the side had their bbq sauce which was more sweet than spicy like you normally get. It was a little odd at first but was nice once I got used to it.
The tables are family style so I ended up eating with some guy in a suit. Turns out he was in town for a business conference and used to come here all the time when he worked in the area. We ended up talking for about an hour about sustainability as it relates to design. He, like many people, didn't really know what graphic design had to do with sustainability so it was a pretty good little talk. Interestingly enough...one of the lectures later that day had to do with talking to business people about just that issue.

Anyways, I left and ran back to the conference in time for it to start back up. This is one of the walls outside. Ridiculously cheesy but it sorta fits.

After the con we went to Sugar for the afterparty. Had a couple drinks and chatted it up. Met some new people, talked with some semi-familiar faces, and in general had a good 'ol time. I seem to be addicted to martinis after Eva's party so I drank one of them. Felt really bad for the bartender...This pic was taken after the place cleared out a bit. When we first got there it was PACKED and there was only one girl bartending. That had to suck. The coordinators apparently called and warned the bar we were going to swarm the place but I guess they didn't think it'd be that many people.

After all that drinking we got a little hungry so we stopped by this place for some mexican before going home. I forget just what these were called but the name started with a p and they were delish. Just the way to end a night.

Finally saw this place on the way back to the car and thought the sign was a little different. The picture didn't come out but oh well. Whew. Long day so I'm going to bed.
P.S. click the pictures to see them a little bigger.

can I put u on my frd list?....on my very secretive blogspot?...XD
ReplyDeleteAggie
even I have lived in SF for years....i don't know where to eat,sigh~
ReplyDeleteoh, i recognize the wall ad of that Sandwiches place....it's Greay&Van ness~
AgGie: Of course you can add me!
ReplyDelete150: Yep. Drew recognized it too. haha If you want to find new places to eat just wander around a bit and walk into someplace that looks interesting. I do that a lot..Sometimes it is good sometimes not but you'll never know unless you do it. Most of the food in SF is pretty tasty.