Thursday, February 05, 2009

Transition tofu


Weedays are rough. I spend most of the nights only sleeping a couple hours in order to get all our homework done. Tuesday night was no exception. I went to school, made dinner, etc. then napped a few hours and got to work on this.

We're doing a movie title sequence in one of my classes. For homework we had to come up with a number of 3 panel scenarios that used specific transitions from one to another. Then pick an ad, change the slogan in one picture and in another change the picture but keep the slogan. Finally, we had to pick a common phrase, find a picture that fit it, then make a logo to represent it. I ended up having fun with it and took a bunch of pictures to make silly jokes. It was a good exercise, I just wish there were more hours in the day to finish everything properly. Thus is life.



On to food! I was looking for a place to eat lunch the other day and this place was suggested to me by a friend. It makes all sorts of meat-looking things out of tofu. There are a couple vegan places around here that do that...I wonder if it is a new trend of some kind?

I was feeling adventurous so I decided to give it a go. The place is one of the typical hole in the walls. Enough space down one wall for some 2 person tables, the counter, and the kitchen right behind the counter.


For my meat substitutes I got the Vietnamese sausage, terryaki chicken with sesame seeds, and some dango looking things that had an unidentifiable but pleasing taste. The sausage thing was ok but a little bland. The chicken was just fried tofu strips with terryaki sause on it. I kinda liked that one. I also liked the rice and lettuce because they put this clear sauce that had peppers in it. Mmmm, spice! It wasn't too bad for $5.

argh. I need to increase my food vocabulary a bit so I can talk about it better on here. More food manga? Reading Oshinbo las night reminded me how little I know about Asian foods.

Back on topic! Their menu basically just shows their soups and a few other things. Most of the rest of the food is just on display buffet style and you point to it. The problem I had with that is that it had been sitting there for a while and they nuked it before handing it to me. I'm going to go back and try out their pho. Maybe it is freshly prepared? I also noticed some curry in the back that I want to go back and try out. I wish I knew it was there before I ordered....

No comments:

Post a Comment