
Ah, Borders. I used to love you.
Borders is having a sale on manga right now so I went down there. Buy one get one half off? Yes, please. I went there with my list of titles that I recommended in the NMRL on magacast but never actually bought because I'm lazy. I was looking for Battle Angel: LO 10, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service 8, Me and the Devil Blues 2, Fate/Stay Night, Yozakura Quartet, Akiba @ Deep, Astral Project 2, Aria 3 or 4, and a couple others. Some of these are brand new, others have been out for a month or two.
I went to 2 different stores. What did they have? Battle Angel and Yozakura Quartet. That was it. And they only had the latest volume of those. All of the others mentioned they didn't have any volumes of, and no place on the shelf where they used to be...Which says to me they don't carry it in store. I'm not too surprised since lately they haven't been carrying many of the titles I read. A quick search on their site confirms many of them as 'online sales only.' I've been going less and less over the last few months. Are my tastes really that strange?
I ended up getting some of the others at Kinokuniya where they skew more towards mature titles. They didn't have Kurosagi 8, but they did have 1-7 whereas I haven't seen it in Borders since volume 1 or 2. Of course, that means I have to pay Kino's prices...
More than likely this is just a case of stores packing shelves with more of what actually sells vs my crazy niche tastes. Not that I ever see other people actually buying. The aisles are still packed with kids sitting on the floors and reading. Still, it is a bummer since I used to be able to buy good things there all the time.
I might drive down to Anime 101 and see what they are carrying these days. He was always pretty good about stocking otaku titles. They also moved into a new location so I want to check it out. Maybe they'll do subscription services for some books like what I had back in the floppy book days? Could I finally find my hardcover copy of Black Jack?

You should ask Sat if you're interested in reading Yozakura Quartet. I think she worked on it (or we wouldn't have them lying around in the office).
ReplyDeleteI heard Anime V/Paradigm Anime is going to open a new store in San Jose. Oh yeah, he was looking for good event staffers to help at an event in Sacramento. Interested? Although he may have found someone by now, but doesn't hurt to ask (if you're looking for a bit of cash).
Hmm. When is it? I hope it isn't Sac-Anime since that has already started...I'll email you!
ReplyDelete